March 30, 2011

hunting

so i've had two job interviews recently. one last week, one today. two totally different positions and organizations. and both interview requests came in after i decided i was putting the hunt on hold. i'm still miserable, but it was pointed out to me (thanks, tasha!) that i already have a pretty solid end date. applying to positions i may not want would just mean potentially suffering through another two years of yuck. and really, i only care about the next two years... actually, 20 months to be exact... which is how long i have left to get my master's. i decided last night that my new financial goal is to not work during my post grad licensing semester. i'd have two classes (3 if the schedule gods love me) plus my 3rd semester of practicum. at most, i'd do something part time. so it's not really necessary for me to put myself through hell sending out all those apps for jobs i don't love

so last week's interview was for a business manager position at a local theater. love the space, and i really do miss working in the theater. i wouldn't be tearing down sets or rolling my eyes at actors, but i'd still be involved in things. my potential boss seems like a pleasant enough woman, but i can tell she has her difficult moments. the board president is adorably mother hen. i know i don't have the specific experience they're looking for, but i have a lot of related experience. i absolutely believe i could rock that job if given the opportunity. it's also located near a few of the DC spots i visited last week during dc fit week. work followed by bikram yoga or boot camp? feasible. though it may be awhile before i hear back about the position because things are a bit harried at the moment...

today's interview was for an administrative assistant at a startup. there's potential to grow in the role, possibly taking on responsibilities similar to the ones i'm supposed to have now. the owner and her (unofficial) partner seem like fantastic coworkers; i think i would adore working with them. the atmosphere is professional, but still laid back. the office is cute and comes with adorable mascots. it was a very informal interview, but one of my favorites. [sidebar: one of the things i picked up from last semester was how terrible interviews are at predicting job success. they're really only good for determining if a person's personality is a good fit for the company] the position would involve a lot of data entry and task management (little phone interaction? yay!), which i'm awesome at. the hours would be flexible, and i would be able to work from home when necessary. even though it seems like a step back, i really would like this position. i love what the business stands for, the atmosphere and the job potential. it's also situated near my new favorite part of dc. things are swampy so they're hoping to move fast, which means i could hear back on this before i hear back on the business manager...

of course, i've already played with my budget numbers as much as i could. i don't know what the business manager role would pay (or if i could adjust the hours to fit my class schedule... really wishing i'd asked that now), but i know what my ask will be. with the admin position, i know the hours, and they know my needs. as it's only part time, i wouldn't be quitting my current job outright. however, cutting my current hours plus picking up hours at the new place seems doable. just need to justify it to the bossman i guess. for now i'm playing the waiting game... while also dodging calls from my old temp agency. submitting my updated resume was not the best idea. they have positions, but everything's on a specific timeline. i really need longer term right now to keep up with the life i've created... even though i took a step back, i'm wiggling my toes back in. please keep your fingers crossed, everyone. mama needs a new happy place