May 30, 2010

nerds unanonymous

my name is michelle, and i'm learning to embrace my inner nerd (geek/dork/whatever). it's not that i've purposely hidden it; it just never came up. you know, cheerleaders don't discuss the glory that is captain picard amongst themselves :p

but it appears that the internets have found me out and are insisting that i fully divulge my inner nerdling. so, thanks to miss sophia, i will be doing just that. cause she gave me a fantastically ridiculous award, which i will happily accept :)


the rules: list ten geeky facts about yourself, and pass this award on to your favorite female geeks

1. i'm moderately obsessed with zombies. N and i watch horror movies like they were training videos, making notes of what would work should we find ourselves in the middle of the zombiepocalypse. keep in mind: planning for dawn of the dead zombies is not the same as planning for resident evil zombies so you better cover all your bases. while some are off getting their hair and nails done, i'm working on toning my machete-wielding arms. even the children will get trained; no exceptions

2. i love webcomics. you don't even want to know how many i have bookmarked between two laptops. i'm terrible about keeping up, but i always read every single comic from day one... so really all those bookmarks are to the archives from wherever i left off. it's a lot to read, and i have too many other things in my life to keep up with these days :( the ones i most recently added are something positive and girls with slingshots. funny though that i don't read xkcd because...

3. i adored lord of the rings (did you click the link? ummm ok you might not get that segway...). i admit that when the movies came out, i didn't realize they were based on books. it was high school, and i didn't read the hobbit in middle school like some kids. shut it... i immediately dug out my mom's old copies of the books after seeing the two towers. i asked for, and got, the boxed set of the three extended movies for christmas the year they were released because i needed them. i'm also trying to get my own copies of the books. preferably, first edition, but we'll see

4. i LOVE books. if i could spend all my days reading (or live in the library), i probably would. i read almost any fiction, but i'm still a snob. i won't read grisham, crighton (creighton?) or those ridiculous twilight books. i also hate sci fi novels. don't ask me why because i'm always reading fantasy. they may be in the same section at the barnes & nobles, but i'm not buying a copy. i think i prefer the visuals to be provided rather than using my imagination...

5. cause i do love sci fi. i blame my mother. she got me hooked on star trek, quantum leap and sliders. my dad is the bigger star wars fan, which probably partially explains my dislike for the series (i'm not much of a fan of him either). my star trek rankings: 1) next generation 2) voyager 3) deep space nine. i will always love captain picard/patrick stewart the most; he's right up there with sean connery... i'm also a huge fan of buffy/joss whedon. more confessions: i haven't seen firefly, i didn't like angel and i don't read the buffy comic. angel has been the only joss that i haven't liked. dollhouse was fantastic, and i'm still pissed it was cancelled. fox doesn't know shit about shit. i just haven't gotten around to firefly, but it's in our netflix queue along with dr. horrible's sing along blog (thanks, N)... *pause* while i add quantum leap and seaquest dsv to the queue before i forget... N also introduced me to the awesome that is battlestar galactica. it had it's low moments, but overall it was such a good show

6. i can't stop laughing at this:
it's from the newly discovered (thanks to jordan) historiclols. word to thy mother

7. i <3 technology. i almost became a computer programmer slash psychologist, but i came to my senses. that combo was never going to work out. plus i didn't pay enough attention in C++ (oh yea, i took computer classes every year of high school. visual basic ftw). even though i am more of a software geek, i still find hardware interesting. i love when InSlut has his little nerdgasms over stuff cause he's just so freaking cute (well he's cute all the time, but that's beside the point). plus he doesn't get exasperated when i ask ridiculous questions about whatever he's geeking out over... speaking of geeking over tech (another odd segway), have you heard about glass? if the answer is no, you haven't been paying enough attention to my twitter clearly ;) maybe i'll give you more detail in another blog post...

8. oh yea - my boyfriend's a nerd. that counts, right? i can totally justify it, too :p he built his own desktop, works in IT and is a gamer. oh! and he sent me this for valentine's day:

i date a nerd, which totally increases my nerd cred. and if you ever wonder where 90% of my nerdy links come from, it's him :)

9. i'd probably be a bigger gamer if i had any coordination. i'm the one stuck in the corner shooting at nothing in halo. i'm the one who continually runs sonic off the cliff because i didn't jump fast enough. i'm the one who has never completed a mission in grand theft auto cause it's much harder than picking up hookers (ps - my record is still four hookers at the same time). i'm ok with it. i play racing games (GT, N4S, etc), and that's pretty much it. you wanna challenge me to mario kart, i'm game. i'll zap you with some lightening bolts cause i'll probably always be last

10. did someone say anime? yep, i watch it. adult swim on saturday nights are my favorites. too bad we cancelled the cable or i'd have been watching while writing this post. i got into bleach, blood+, fullmetal alchemist, morbito, death note and cowboy bebop over the last few years purely because of adult swim. even after moving out of my parents house, i would go over on saturdays just to watch my shows. some nights, i'd leave at five am to go home to bed (that's when inuyasha comes on, and i'm not a big fan). my little brother got me blood+ volume one (with english subtitles) a couple years ago, which earned him favorite sibling. he's a bit of an anime/gamer nerd himself; he reads all the books instead. my goal is to watch bleach from episode one; i know InSlut has them so it's only a matter of time

there's my 10 :) time to find out someone else's. i adore these ladies:

amber [nostomanic]
ashley [sleepwalkdance]
brittney [lamidge]
erini [adorkable me]
jenn [free and flawed]
kara [crayons and cylons]
mandi [life in beta]

it's unfortunate my real life friends don't blog publicly. i heart their nerd tweets (and them), too :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We both have the same name and we both love books and sci-fi, how's that? hahaha! Use to love comics too when i was younger.

I think i should be a computer geek now because i'd been having troubles in my laptop twice.

Anonymous said...

AS IF I have just found your blog!! I'm totally a nerd too - I recently posted my first uber-nerdgasm post and worried I'd lose ALL my readers... and it was one of the most popular posts I've ever had!! Geeks FTW :) TOTALLY looking forward to checking out more of your blog!!

michelle said...

@mishieru: sucks about the computer troubles. what you need is a a computer geek friend; much easier than trying to figure it out yourself ;) i hope your computer is much happier after getting wiped and upgraded to windows 7

@emily-jane: lol welcome to the blog :) i dropped by yours (gotta check out my new guests), and i'll definitely be back

Kara said...

Thank so much!! I'm totally following your blog now, too! As you obviously know, I'm a HUGE Whedon nerd. Glad you got Firefly and Dr. Horrible on their way soon. You'll love them both.

And I love that your boyfriend sent you that valentine! I got a Klingon one from my Hub from lemondrop.com :)

Plus, I'm right there with you on the whole lack of coordination on the gaming thing. That's why I like my Wii so much. There are games that don't require timed button mashing!

Expect to see me around here a lot more.

Amber said...

Hahaha, thanks for this. I'm a total nerd/geek and I have the comic-con 3-day pass to prove it.

Welp, now that I've finished commenting here, guess I'll go watch some Star Trek. (I'm not trying to be funny, I'm actually going to go watch Star Trek.)

michelle said...

@kara: welcome to my corner! lol i wouldn't think klingon's would have valentine's. they aren't very warm and cuddly

@amber: you're welcome; i hoped you enjoyed your star trek watching. there was a next generation marathon on bbc america yesterday, which i totally watched at my parents' hahahaha

freeandflawed said...

Again, thanks muchly for sharing this award with me. I'm a BIG fan of your geekiness :)

michelle said...

@freeandflawed: you're very welcome (and thanks!) :)

Emily Jane said...

I love that this spawned a whole new bunch of nerd blogs for me to check out :D

Post a Comment